What is SIP Trunking
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) Trunking is a virtual protocol operating much like a traditional business phone line. SIP trunking virtually links to a Public Switched Telephone using the internet. The word “trunking” is derived from the early days of long distance communication. A trunk was used to link many phone users together. SIP is one of the protocols that makeVolP service functional and user friendly. Old phones utilize physical lines and circuits to link to the PSTN. However, SIP trunks don’t use the natural line to connect with virtual connections over the current IP internet. SIP uses one single line to integrate video, voice information, and network services. The data is transmitted through the web as opposed to traditional telephone lines.
With the development of VoIP and PBX, audio messaging and interfacing has been considerably expanded. The innovation of SIP enables data to be transmitted in multiple forms such as voice, video, and instant messaging. SIP uses the internet which significantly reduces costs and replaces traditional phone systems.
The truly remarkable advantage of SIP is that it eliminates the need for maintaining a local phone connection. Businesses have both small and large applications with regards to SIP services. Frequently this technology is provided by businesses featuring VOIP. Theservices offered by VoIP are cost effective for both small and big companies in order to maintain local communication.
How SIP Trunking Works
SIP trunking provides you with landline and unified communications services. It utilizes existing IP networks and changes old telephone lines. VoIP clients can communicate via SIP trunking directly to any phone on the PSTN. This can take place without the existence of telephone circuits by integrating with compatible hosted PBX devices.
SIP trunking requires three vital steps to operate. First, theSIP provider that delivers service must be present. Second, a phone device that has a trunk side to support SIP will be needed. Third, a border element to enable the transmission between your business network and the PSTN is required to complete SIP trunking.
Firewalls or switches can be further utilized to provide edgy components customized to manage the SIP trunking provider’s specific needs. Any company can improve its communication by the use of this simple three part approach to SIP trunking. By installing IP-PBX it is even possible to speed up the process of essential communication network tasks.
Most Common Advantages of SIP Trunking Services
With the invention of SIP, small enterprises can quickly provide services traditionally offered by larger scale businesses. Without SIP, similar service quality would be costly. Meanwhile, SIP allows large companies to maintain their local presence while simplifying the process of expanding. Other benefits are that:
- SIP trunk business providers enable customers to have as many phones lines as they need without charging for unused lines.
- SIP trunk systems are not affected by weather. There is no opportunity for external conditions to facilitate communication breakdown.
- Installation and maintenance costs of SIP trunk systems are relatively low when compared to other technologies. The existing system of a business or organization can be improved without incurring any costs.
- SIP trunking allows other internet connections to your temporary link that can serve you in case you change your location.
- SIP offers advantages for international calls by limiting the costs of operation.
How SIP Trunking Can Improve Your Business Communication
SIP trunking is a superior means of communication when compared to IP networks. The system is flexible for small and large businesses alike. SIP trunking can adapt to fit your changing needs. It is possible to handle all video, data, voice calls on one network with this type of system. This is particularly beneficial for voice services because its possible to channel international and local calls through one broadband internet connection. Individuals and businesses can reduce the cost of communication significantly by incorporating SIP. SIP trunking does not need someone to manage incoming, outgoing and PBX calls. This alone saves money in IT management services.
SIP trunkingusers hardly experience services outages because of the multiple locations available by their service vendors. If one site faces mechanical problems, SIP trunks will automatically transfer calls to extension areas in order to restore service. Calls can also be sent to a separate satellite location in case of unexpected power outages. SIP trunking systems are beneficial because they allow the enterprise to spread amongst workers in different office locations.
Why Use SIP Trunking Over Alternative Solutions
SIP trunks are the cheapest means of communication. You can save a lot of money because SIP call rates are lower when compared to other trunks. You can use SIP to make free voice calls between any location on the same VoIP system. Also, SIP installations and maintenance costs are relatively cheap compared to PIR trunks. These are some of the most significant reasons that businesses should consider incorporating SIP technology.
Choose the Right Trunk Solution
Here are some of the factors to consider when choosing the right trunk solution
- Network: It is important to make sure that network of SIP trunk is run by your SIP provider directly.
- Security – Ensure that any information delivered by your SIP trunk is protected and secure by placing anti-fraud devices in place to monitor any feedback and reduce risk.
- Pricing – Prefer to buy a quality SIP trunk system at affordable price
- Number porting- Select SIP trunk that can accommodate your existing phone number. Most SIP providers offer number porting from your particular location.
- Customer Service – Make sure you can reach your service provider in case your SIP trunk experiences technical problems.
Overall, a large enterprise can convey significant data to multiple locations with this type of setup. SIP trunks are rarely affected by severe weather climatic condition making the secure and reliable.